Breakfast, lunch or dinner, we don't care - this is the way we want our potatoes from now on. Potatoes might be underrated, but this smash style version are crazy crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside and incredibly easy to make. The only thing is that we can’t guarantee that the whole batch will make it to the table, they’re seriously that good.
The best potato recipe ever!
If you haven’t had smash potatoes yet, it’s a good thing you found this recipe! These are so easy to make and only take a few ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. These potatoes taste like little buttery french fries, but with a rustic approach. They’re super fluffy on the inside and crazy crispy on the tops & bottoms. They're so easy to make you don’t even need to worry about how you squish them, the more rigid the surface the better the crunch!
We recommend making a few batches and seasoning with all different Smoke Show Spices like Original Jalapeño, Zaatar, Herbs de Provence and Montreal Steak. But the pièce de résistance is dipping these babies in some Jalapeño Aioli. Game. Changer!
Do you have to boil potatoes before baking?
To get that crispy crust on the outside of the potatoes you’ll need to boil them briefly before roasting. Without this step the inside won’t be fully cooked and the outside skin will remain tough, preventing any butter from being able to get into the cracks. This step also makes it much easier to smash your potatoes and get them nice and thin for roasting!
Can you cook potatoes in the microwave?
If you’re tight on time you can always opt to cook your potatoes in the microwave. This method can significantly cut down your cooking time by almost half! If you are deciding to cook your potatoes in the microwave you’ll want to use a microwave-safe or BPA-free container to steam them in. Add a tablespoon of water to your container with the potatoes and microwave on high for 5-7mins. Test for doneness and keep cooking until you're able to pierce the skin easily and they're soft inside.
PREP: 10min | TOTAL TIME: 60min | SERVINGS: 2-4
- 1.5 lbs mini potatoes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Smoke Show Jalapeño Spice Blend
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parsley, finely chopped
- First step is to cook the potatoes. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook potatoes until soft - this should take around 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drain the potatoes and let them dry in the colander for 5 minutes or so to release any extra moisture.
- Now it’s time to smash! Place the potatoes on a tray then use a large fork or potato masher to squish them, keeping them in one piece. Rule of thumb is thin = crisper and thicker = fluffier insides. Keeping the skin on your potatoes is also going to give them that crunch!
- Leave them on the tray to steam dry again for around 5 minutes to release any more moisture - this is the trick that makes them crispier!
- Drizzle with butter, olive oil, then sprinkle over with salt and pepper and Smoke Show Jalapeno Spice Blend.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes turn deep golden and crispy.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley. Enjoy!
@smokeshowsauce WHICH ONE ARE YOU DIPPING?!#potatotiktok #montreal #spiced #getspiced #spiceme #spiceitup #potatorecipe #smashedpotatoes #spiceking #mtltiktok ♬ Come Check This - FETISH