Stop thinking about what you’re going to cook for dinner tonight, these spicy shrimp tacos are a no-brainer!! Loaded with spicy chipotle shrimp, homemade creamy slaw, jalapeños and feta cheese, there’s no doubt you’ll make everyone at the table happy with this recipe.
Aside from the fact that everyone loves a good taco night, we’ll show you how to make the best shrimp tacos featuring Smoke Show Chipotle spice mix that really brings the heat to your home cooking.
How to make shrimp tacos
First things first, you need to prepare your shrimp. You can use either fresh or frozen shrimps for this taco recipe, just ensure that they are completely thawed and patted dry to remove the moisture. Then peel and devein to get them ready for seasoning.
The real star ingredient to this dish is the chipotle spice mix. The hot, smoky and naturally sweet flavours pack a punch so depending on your spice tolerance you can add a little more or a little less. You can either pan fry your shrimp or go the extra mile and throw them on the grill to get a nice char on them.
Next, it’s time to make the creamy slaw. There are a few different ways to make this slaw, you can always replace the greek yogurt in this recipe for sour cream if you prefer. The longer it sits the more flavour you’ll get out of it, so our best tip is to make it right before you start cooking your shrimp so your slaw has time to rest in the fridge.
All that’s left to do is assemble. Probably the best selling point about tacos is that everyone can make their own however they like it. We like our shrimp tacos with some sliced green onion and jalapeños (of course), feta cheese, homemade creamy slaw and a whole lot of sauce.
What can you season shrimp with?
You can season shrimp with just about any kind of spice mix, but chipotle is at the top of the list of flavours to try. If you were curious, chipotle is a smoke-dried jalapeño chilli pepper grounded up to create a delicious and spicy seasoning. The smoky heat and naturally sweet undertones brings a kick to your shrimp and levels up the flavours. The Smoke Show Chipotle spice blend has a good amount of heat so be aware of how much or little you use depending on your tolerance.
What sauce is good for shrimp?
The best sauce for shrimp is aioli by far. The Smoke Show Jalapeño Aioli is ridiculously delicious on any type of fish, especially shrimp. It packs a mild punch from the lightly charred jalapeños with an overall creamy texture that is perfect for drizzling over tacos or using as a dipping sauce.
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Smoke Show Chipotle Seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lime
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Corn tortillas
- Start by first patting the shrimp dry to ensure there is little moisture left in them. Transfer to a mixing bowl and drizzle over a tablespoon of olive oil and add in the chipotle powder and salt. Toss until all the shrimps are generously covered.
- In a separate small bowl, begin making the shrimp sauce. Combine the greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, cilantro, minced garlic, salt & pepper, and lime juice. Combine half of the shrimp sauce with the shredded cabbage and toss to create the slaw. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble, reserve the rest of the sauce for serving.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and begin cooking the shrimp. Sauté until all the shrimps are cooked through, remembering to flip slides. When the shrimps are no longer translucent that’s when you know they’re ready. Transfer to a plate to ensure that they don’t overcook.
- To serve, warm your tortillas quickly in the pan used for the shrimps over a low heat. A few seconds on each side should be good. Add your desired amount of shrimp, top with your homemade slaw, extra sauce, sliced jalapeños, green onion, and feta cheese. Enjoy!
@smokeshowsauce SMOKE SHOW CHIPOTLE + SHRIMP = NO-BRAINER! RECIPE ONLINE🦐 #simpleeasyrecipes #spicyfoodrecipe #taco #shrimptacos ♬ original sound - Smoke Show Sauce