What do you get when you combine spicy baked chicken breasts, pasta and a creamy mushroom sauce? You get the dinner of your dreams. This chicken madeira rigatoni recipe is so incredibly delicious we guarantee you won’t be able to put your fork down.
Pasta's a staple in anyone’s weekly dinner rotation, but this recipe is a perfect way to add some protein into the mix and bump up the flavours. The Madeira white wine, cremini mushrooms and heavy cream blend together and make the most delicious sauce and the ridges on the rigatoni soak up every bit of it with each bite.
What is chicken madeira made of?
You might be wondering what is the difference between chicken marsala and chicken madeira? The two dishes are very similar and only two small things set them apart. Chicken madeira is made with Portuguese Madeira wine and beef stock, while chicken marsala is made with Sicilian Marsala wine and chicken stock. Both insanely delicious and even better when combined with mushrooms and pasta.
The star of this chicken madeira dish, and the thing that brings it all together, is the homemade creamy mushroom sauce. It has the perfect balance between rich and flavourful without being too heavy. It’s full of ingredients including chicken stock, butter, shallots, garlic, parmesan cheese and heavy cream that brings depth and thickness to the sauce.
How to make creamy chicken rigatoni
First thing’s first: chicken. You want to marinate the chicken in a generous amount of Smoke Show Jalapeño Hot Sauce. The sweet, spicy and smokey flavours are going to glaze over the chicken while it’s cooking and bring some heat to the dish. While that's in the oven you can boil the pasta and get to work on the cream sauce that can be made all in one skillet. For these types of recipes we prefer a nicer bottle of wine rather than some cheap cooking wine. You’ll only use about a cup in the actual sauce so you can justify the spend by finishing the bottle with your meal!
What hot sauce goes well with pasta?
Smoke Show Jalapeño Hot Sauce is delicious on just about everything, including pasta. The smokey flavours and mild heat from the jalapeños work perfectly over meat sauces, cream sauces, and vegetarian pasta dishes.
PREP: 10min | TOTAL TIME: 40min | SERVINGS: 2-4
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4-6 tbsp Smoke Show Jalapeño Hot Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 ounces parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup Madeira wine (or other dry white wine)
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Rub both sides of the chicken breasts with olive oil, and season generously with salt, pepper and jalapeño hot sauce. Place the chicken in an oven safe dish and roast until it is cooked through and golden brown. This should take around 30 minutes.
- While your chicken is roasting in the oven, you can begin to start on the pasta. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and generously season the water with salt. Cook the pasta according to the package directions (we always recommend al dente). Be sure to reserve a cup of the pasta water once done cooking.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients while the pasta is cooking by quartering the mushrooms, dicing the shallot and chopping the garlic. Grate 1 cup of the parmesan cheese on the fine hole side of your cheese grater.
- Place a pan over medium heat and with a drizzle of olive oil and add the butter. Add in the mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Once done cooking, add in the shallot and garlic, stirring for about a minute. Add in the wine and simmer for 3 minutes until it is almost reduced. Add the chicken broth, cream, and ¼ of the pasta water, stirring constantly until everything is combined and brought back to a simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, let it rest for a few minutes on your cutting board before cutting into it. Once cooled, dice the chicken into small bite sized pieces.
- Return your original pasta pot to medium heat. Add in the pasta, diced chicken, cream sauce and grated parmesan cheese and stir to combine everything together. Add in the reserved pasta water as needed, stirring until the cheese has melted and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve while hot, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add extra parmesan over top and enjoy!
@smokeshowsauce PASTA-TIVELY INSANE ⚡️RECIPE ONLINE #easyrecipe #quickmeals #quickrecipes#pastarecipe #pastatiktok #spicelover #hotsauce #makeitspicy ♬ Bong Bing - Laa Lee & Cristale