Make the perfect spicy beef tartare with this easy and classic recipe that you can make safely at home.
What is a classic beef tartare?
Beef tartare is a classic dish that you could find on the menu of a lot of restaurants today. But for some reason people are always hesitant to make it at home because it’s main ingredient is raw meat. With our fool-proof recipe you’ll be adding it to your list of weekly meals!
Traditionally beef tartare is garnished with gherkins, micro greens and an egg yolk on top, and served with a side of thinly sliced toasted baguette. In our kitchen we like to add a little spice to our dishes, so combining some hot sauce to the meat brings it to a whole other level .
How do you make beef tartare at home?
Beef tartare is so much easier to make at home than you think - after all it requires zero cooking time. The only thing you really need is a good cut of meat, a sharp knife and some hot sauce.
A few things will make the process a lot smoother. One of our biggest tips is to place the beef in the fridge or freezer for 30 minutes before you’re ready to cook. This will stiffen the meat just enough so you are able to cut it with ease. Make sure the knife you are using is sharpened before starting the cut or you’ll end up with some messy slices.
Aside from having a fresh cut of meat, the sauce is really what is going to add flavour to our tartare. Since everything we do here is spicy, we’re doubling up by adding hot sauce to the beef and as a garnish on the plate for dipping.
PREP: 20min | TOTAL TIME: 20min | SERVINGS: 2-4
- 250-300g fresh beef tenderloin or other
- 10ml anchovy paste
- 1/3 cup Smoke Show Jalapeño Aioli
- 1-2 tbs Smoke Show Jalapeño Hot Sauce
- 1 tbs Smoke Show Jalapeño Dijonnaise
- 5 to 8 Gherkin pickles
- 1 tbs capers
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch micro greens - for garnish
- 1 egg yolk per person - optional and for garnish
- Start by cutting the beef into very small cubes. Keeping your meat cold beforehand will help make this process easier.
- Finely dice the gherkin pickles and dill.
- In a small bowl, take the anchovy paste and mix with the Jalapeño Aioli.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Jalapeño Hot Sauce, Jalapeño Dijonnaise and lemon juice. Then fold in the gherkin pickles and dill. Then add in your meat and drizzle a little oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- To serve, drizzle some Jalapeño Aioli all over the bottom of your plate. Add the beef tartare and garnish with micro greens, yolk and lemon zest.