WHAT ARE KALE CHIPS?
We all know the struggle around eating classic potato chips. They’re a treat that while delicious, none of us can exactly call nourishing or healthy. What if we told you that you could have both? All of the taste and satisfaction, and none of the compromise. That’s precisely what our kale chip recipe brings you.
Let’s start with the basics. What exactly is kale? It’s a leafy green vegetable packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The benefits of eating kale are so high that it’s classified as a superfood. How exciting is it that we can take this super healthy vegetable and turn it into a savoury chip with zero guilt?
HOW TO GET THE PERFECT CHIP
Kale is one of those veggies that need extra love and attention to truly bring out the best flavour. Luckily we have few steps you can take to make sure your kale chips turn out perfectly every time.
The first thing to be done is to remove the stems. Kale stems are coarse and will take away from both the flavour and texture of the chip.
Our second tip is to make sure the leaves are properly dry once they’re removed and rinsed. When done right, kale is insanely delicious, but when not properly taken care of (forgetting to dry well), they risk turning soggy in the oven. No one wants that.
Once the kale is properly dried, it’s time to massage. Massaging your kale is a crucial step to achieve perfection. It ensures better texture, more crunch AND better digestion. Throw the kale into a bowl, pour in about ½ a TBSP of olive oil (don’t use more, otherwise you run the risk of sogginess again), salt and pepper, and massage your kale for a few minutes.
MAKING YOUR CHIPS FLAVOURFUL
This next part is where our secret for extra tasty kale chips come in. Adding oil, salt and pepper alone makes a pretty good snack, but we’ve figured out how to completely elevate it. We like to add a drizzle of our original Smoke Show Jalapeno Hot Sauce along with a splash of lemon juice into the mix, and massage it in. This gives the chips a smoky, spicy, tangy, and slightly sweet flavour. They’re sure to impress even the most skeptical.
With our unique kale chip recipe, you just might find yourself reaching into the fridge for your veggies rather than into the pantry for a pre packaged bag of chips. Just trust us on this one.
- One bunch kale
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Smoke Show hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut stems off the kale and tear it into bite sized pieces
- Wash kale pieces and pat dry, making sure almost all of the water is off the leaves
- Place kale pieces on lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt + pepper
- Drizzle smokeshow hot sauce on seasoned kale leaves
- Using tongs, carefully toss the kale to ensure the seasoning has evenly coated both sides of the leaves
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until leaves are crispy and brown but not burnt
- Once the kale chips are out of the oven, drizzle with fresh lemon juice